Poe was buried in a small funeral behind Westminster Hall but was moved in 1875 to a larger site which now stands as a memorial and a tourist attraction. The Edgar Allan Poe Society in Baltimore wrote a detailed article covering this topic.
Edgar Allan Poe was a tortured soul and that is reflective in his writing. Surely one of the greatest writers and poets of the ages. Here are a few of his quotes that I think are pretty awesome.
- "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
- "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
- "There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion."
- "I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom."
- "Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear."
- "Sleep, those little slices of death — how I loathe them."
- "Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute."
- "Never to suffer would never to have been blessed."
- "Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
- "All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
- "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
- "Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect."
- "I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow."
- "Invisible things are the only realities."
- "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before"